Thursday, March 11, 2010

The June Cleaver Conundrum

Have you ever had one of those days where you were SO busy, but nothing ever gets done?

Sometimes I have entire weeks like that. I think it is impossible to have a clean house with an energetic three year old boy following you around undoing what you have just done.

There was the day recently where I spent the morning dusting and sweeping and mopping and vacuuming every room in the house. Then we decided to make a Valentine's Day card for Daddy. With glitter. And not the glue kind. Lesson learned. I'm still finding glitter flakes in corners and under furniture.

Secretly, I dream of living in my Grandmothers' generation, of being a June Cleaver. She had an emaculate house, clean, respectful children, an honorable husband, looked amazing everyday and put a big spread on the dinner table every night. She didn't have the media distractions we have today. But then I realized she is a fictional character. Then, there is the modern day, Martha Stewart. Seemingly perfect in every way, save telling the truth. Even though she is a real person, she is an anomoly and a little surreal. (Nobody does what she does.)

So, who ought we model ourselves after?

Even when we go to the bible and look at what God says a woman should be, it feels quite daunting.

The Proverbs 31 Woman (Read your bible, this is my own paraphrase):

She cares for her husband so that he trusts her.
She finds her own materials.
She is a food gatherer.
She gets up early and cooks the food for her family and her servants.
She buys property and grows food on it.
She is strong.
She helps the poor and needy.
She makes warm clothes for her husband and children.
She makes elegant clothes for herself.
She makes clothes to sell.
She is honorable and full of wisdom and kindness.
She manages her household.
She is not easily distracted.
Her children obey her.
Her husband praises her.

What can we learn from looking at these three women?

1. Nobody is perfect. Except for the Proverbs 31 Woman, but I've heard preachers say that this woman never existed, but is only an example for us.
2. All three women have help. Hired or otherwise.
3. There are always messes to clean up.
4.There is always something that needs doing.
5. We, as women, are the managers of our OWN households.

So, the question is, who ought we model ourselves after?

My answer:  Nobody.

We can look to the Proverbs 31 Woman as an example. But God has made each and every one of us different. There is not one perfect mold. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses. I can shop thriftily and creatively, saving money for our household, but I've recently discovered I couldn't sew even a book cover for my son to save my life (well, at least without a lot more practice.)

Our homes are not meant to be emaculate, but lived in comfortably. Our dinners will sometimes not turn out just right. Our husbands may come home to find us in sweats covered in glitter and baby drool. Our kids will sometimes have dirty faces and hands. In public even.

So, what do I say about that? Do the best you can with what you've got. For everything else, let it go or ask for help. Read God's word and do it. His grace is sufficient for you. His mercies are new every day. He works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment